This is a short-term grant funded position that relies on continued funding of the NASA STEM EPDC cooperative agreement by NASA. A 9 month -1 year faculty of practice contract will be extended to the selected applicant. The Education Specialist supports the mission and leadership of the NASA STEM Educator Professional Development Collaborative (EPDC) [txstate-epdc.net] primarily by delivering STEM engagement activities for students and professional development programs in their respective service area to K-20 in-service and pre-service teachers as well as to educators in informal settings. In addition, Education Specialists support their NASA field center education office by providing programs and delivering instruction at the Centers and surrounding communities that leverages expertise in NASA STEM content and other NASA educational resources as a means to engage the general public and educators.
The selected candidate will be a Texas State University employee located at NASA’s Ames Research Center, Mountain View, CA. The approximate start date is December 1, 2018. The appointment term will continue through August 31, 2019, with the possibility of extending to a second year if funding is obtained.
● Master’s degree or higher in education; science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM); or in a related area.
● Teaching certification in one or more U.S. states or equivalent experience in educator professional development.
● At least three years of experience teaching STEM-related subjects.
● Demonstrated evidence of having received professional training in the Next Generation Science Standards and experience teaching or delivering curriculum that highlights the practices, crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas of the NGSS.
● Demonstrated evidence of experience delivering STEM engagement for students and professional development to K-12 teachers.
● Evidence of technology proficiency, including understanding and skill in use of educational technologies such as robotics, programming, Maker tools, etc. [This position requires the employee to deliver a substantial amount of the professional development via distance technologies, or “online.”]
● Evidence of leadership experience in K-12 educational settings.
● Evidence of study and understanding of effective STEM pedagogy [general theory is sufficient].
● Evidence of study and understanding of culturally relevant pedagogy [general theory is sufficient].
● Demonstrated knowledge of leading, changing, and emerging education trends at the national level.
● Demonstrated experience with web-based communication tools and software products and well as with mainstream productivity software (e.g., Adobe Connect, Skype, WebEx, MSOffice, etc.).